Study Visa for Italy

Useful information for non-EU citizens on visas and residence permits for study purposes

You can apply for a study visa for Italy by enrolling in one of our “Italiano Standard” courses for a minimum duration of 6 months. Should you have any special requests, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The visa, which consists of a specific 'sticker' applied to the passport or another valid travel document of the applicant, is an authorization granted to the foreigner for entry into the territory of the Italian Republic. Depending on nationality, country of residence, reasons for the visit, and the duration of the stay, here you will find useful information regarding what is required for its issuance.

Visa for Italy

Citizens from countries requiring an entry visa to Italy can enroll and attend an Italian language course if they possess a tourist visa (valid for stays up to a maximum of 90 days) or a study visa (mandatory for periods exceeding 90 days).

Before enrolling in an Italian course, it is advisable to contact the nearest Italian Diplomatic or Consular representative to the place of residence for precise and up-to-date information. Below are listed essential requirements for initiating the visa application process. Please note that the visa is not considered a right, and its issuance is at the discretion of individual consular representations, which may request additional documentation.

In case of visa refusal, the Consulate must provide a written explanation to the applicant, along with details on how to appeal. The explanation must be translated into a language understandable to the interested party or, in case of objective impossibility, into English, French, Spanish, or Arabic.

In some countries, the necessary time to obtain an entry visa for Italy can be quite long; therefore, it is advisable to contact the relevant Consulate in due time, at least one month before the intended course starts.

In the absence of an Italian Consular representation, the tourist visa can be issued by the Consulate of any country that has joined the Schengen Treaty. In this case, when possible, the visa must be requested from the representation of the country of entry into the 'Schengen Area.' The study visa can only be issued by the Italian Consulate (or the Consular Section of the Italian Embassy) competent for the territory in the applicant's country of residence.

Countries subject to visa requirements

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Comoros, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Green Cape, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, North Corea, Northern Mariana Islands, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, People’s Republic of China, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Republic of Macedonia, Republic of the Congo, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia and Montenegro, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, the Solomon Islands, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Saoma, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

For other countries including:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brasile, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, South Corea, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Estonia, Japan, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, United States, Hungary, Uruguay, Venezuela do not require tourist visas for trips lasting less than 90 days.

It is also noted that "starting from 1 September 2010, citizens of countries exempt from the visa requirement for a short stay, will be able to enter Italy for study reasons, for stays of up to 90 (ninety) days, WITHOUT the corresponding Entry visa for study ".

The countries for which this legislation is valid are:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Japan, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama. Paraguay, Singapore, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela.

To stay informed of any changes in this list, we suggest visiting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and the European Union website.

As of May 2004, citizens of Poland, Hungary, Czech republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, and Cyprus are no longer considered non-EU. In any case, citizens of these countries who are not required to obtain visas should still make sure to have their passports stamped by the Italian border police with the date and time of entry into Italy.

Both tourism and study visa applicants are required to have proof of sufficient financial resources to be able to be independently spent over the period of time of residence in Italy. The Ministry of Home Affairs has created a table in order to establish reasonable means of sustenance required for admission into Italy for both tourism and study

Documents typically required by consular authorities

Passport with a validity of at least 3 months (for some countries, validity exceeding 6 months is required) beyond the requested visa period.

Airfare ticket (or other means of transportation) for a round trip or flight reservation.

Evidence of sufficient financial means to support oneself during the stay in Italy, according to the specified parameters.

The applicant, through appropriate documentation (e.g., employment declaration, cash, credit card, traveler's checks, or other), must demonstrate being in a socio-economic or employment and family position that can guarantee their genuine interest in returning to their home country at the end of the visa's validity period.

Confirmation of hotel reservation or another suitable housing solution.

Health insurance with adequate coverage valid for all countries in the Schengen Area.

In some countries, a reputable travel agency accredited by the Italian Consulates or by other states that have joined the Schengen Treaty may assist in resolving any bureaucratic issues.

Visa for study purposes: additional documents

Medical insurance, valid in case of urgent hospitalization without cost and duration limits with the "INA - Insurance of Italy". This insurance is quite cheap, as of 03.10.2003 it costs Euro 38.73 for six months or Euro 77.46 for twelve months and covers the risk of hospitalization in the event of trauma or illnesses that require emergency hospitalization but cannot be used for outpatient or home medical visits. For this reason, it is also necessary to have medical insurance from your country, valid in Italy, which also covers these risks.

Documented guarantees regarding the course to be attended (course enrollment certificate).

Tourist visa: additional documents

Medical insurance, valid in case of urgent hospitalization without cost and duration limits with INA (Insurance of Italy). This insurance covers the risk of hospitalization in the event of trauma or diseases that require emergency hospitalization but cannot be used for outpatient or home medical visits. For this reason, it is also necessary to have medical insurance from your country, valid in Italy, which also covers these risks. As of 03.10.2003 the insurance costs with the "INA - Insurance of Italy" are: - Euro 72.30 for six months or Euro 118.79 for twelve months, up to 40 years of age; - Euro 92.96 for six months or Euro 154.94 for twelve months, from 40 to 65 years of age (over 65 years of age the INA does not agree to take out this type of policy).

It is possible to avoid insuring with "INA - Le Assicurazioni d'Italia" for those who have a declaration from the Consulate of Italy in which it is clearly written that their insurance (the name of the insurance must be written) is valid in Italy, which covers the costs in the event of hospitalization, medical examinations and which can be used to apply for a residence permit.

Before issuing a study visa for Italy, some Consulates require enrolment in a course of at least 20 hours of weekly lessons.

Once you have confirmed that you meet the minimum requirements required by law and obtained the necessary information from the Consulate, you can enroll in the course by sending the registration form to the school and paying the entire cost of the booked course in a single installment. (Terms and Conditions).

Only at that point can the school, in order to initiate the visa application procedure, issue the enrolment certificate, the letter of confirmation for the course and the receipt for the paid amount.

No visa issuance (nor extension of an existing visa) is possible for a foreign citizen already within Italian territory. Official extensions of stay can only be granted through any extensions or renewals of the residence/stay permit.

In Italy, the Police cannot extend or renew residence/stay permits if connected to a type “C” visa.

Further information about the issue of visas and residence permits can be found by visiting the following websites:

Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The website contains all the updated information and forms required for visa application.

Italian Diplomatic and Consular Representations Worldwide

Some Embassies' websites also provide visa information in languages other than Italian.

Italian Ministry of the Interior - State Police

Information in Italian about entry into Italy and the residence permit.

Course for Study Visa

If you need a study visa to enter Italy, this course meets all the requirements necessary to obtain it. Citizens from countries that require an entry visa to Italy can enroll and attend our course to obtain the study visa and the residence permit for Italy.

Attendance : 4 hours a day / 20 hours a week / Monday - Friday

NB: Read the terms and conditions and useful information for applying for a study visa .

Please fill out the form with all the necessary information: we will contact you as soon as possible!

    Contact Us

    We are here to help you 7 days a week and respond within 24 hours. Plus, you can find most answers to your questions right on FAQ page.

    General Inquiries​

    Via del Boschetto, 32, 00184 Roma

    If you are a reporter looking for information on media services please contact us at:

    Contact us

    Have trouble finding the Italian language course that suits you best? Contact us and let us help! We usually reply to messages within 24 working hours.

    Send us an email

      Inizia Chat
      Hai bisogno di aiuto?
      come possiamo aiutarti?